Saturday 2 April 2016

God Helps Him Who Helps Himself


It   was  a  chill  January  evening. January 5,  2011  to  be  precise.  Some   policemen  landed  in   my  house  in  my  village  Bhatotar  in Purnia  district  in  Bihar  and  told   me  I  was required for  interrogation  concerning  the murder  of   Rajkishore  Keshri , a  member  of  state   Assembly  previous  day.  But  I  had  apprehended  what  was  coming  forth. I  had  realised  much  earlier   that   some  politicians  sitting at  Purnia,  Patna  and  Delhi  could  not  digest  my  revelations  on  their  sexual  escapades  and  also anti  national  activities.   And  that  MLA  was  killed  only  because  he was part  of that.  As a  journalist I  was well  acquainted   with  how police  kill    someone in  name  of    fake  encounters.
I  am  a  devout  devotee  of  Mother  Goddess  Kali,  the  Goddess   of   power  and  killer   of  evil   forces. And  the  temple  of  Goddess  Kali  in  my  village was  that  I  always looked  at  before    sleeping. Also   I  always keep  a  photo   of  Kali  in  my   shirt  pocket.
As  the  policemen were  waiting  I  had   to   go.  They  told  me  that  I  would  be taken  to  Purnia,  the  district  headquarter  about  45  kilometres   away from  my  village. It  was  dark  till   then  and   my  nervousness  mounting.  I  told  my   wife   about  that. She  said  she  would  accompany  me  with two  daughters.  Before  leaving  I   did  two  things.  I  informed  on  phone   my  journalist  friends  at  Purnia  and Patna  that  I was  being picked  up  and  might   be killed.  Besides  I  also kept   a  small  tape  recorder  at  my  undergarments   attached  to   genitals.
The  journey  was  quiet till  we  reached  at the  outskirts  of  Purnia town. The  policemen  accompanying  me  were  directed  to  kill  me  on way.  But  they  were  confused   what  to  do  with  my  family  hence  their  message  to  their “  bosses”   for  further  direction. Soon  another  vehicle  landed  there  and that was  the  worst  moment  of   my   life.  Three  gunmen  with  covered   faces  snatched  me  out  of  the  jeep  I  was,  pushed  my three  year old  daughter  on  ground   and  took  me  to  another  vehicle  hurling  all  abuses.  They  also  snatched  my  mobile. And  the last  word I  heard  was  Papa  from  my  daughter.  My  vehicle  rushed  to  another   direction. Three   AK  47s   pointed  at  my  neck  and the  man with   the  driver  asking  on  phone” Where  to  kill  Sir ?”.
The  situation  continued  with  nearly  an hour  but   at  every  location  they stopped   to  kill  me  had  a  hurdle.  Fake  encounters  always  take  place  at  secluded  places,  mind  you.  I  was  more  concerned   about  my  family.  But here again  I  had  faith  on  Mother  Kali, the  photo  still  in  my  pocket. And   I remembered   what   we  were  taught  at  Patna  Saint  Xaviers “  God  helps  him  Who Helps  Himself”.  
These  bastards  did  not  know  that  all    their  words  were  recorded  in  the  tape  at  my  genitals.  They  had  not  bothered  to search  me  and  they  could  not  imagine  something hidden  at  that  place. Nearly  one hour  of  ordeal  and  I was  taken  to   a  police  station. They  could   not  kill  me  but they  were  free   to   torture  me.  And  that  continued  for  another  hour. Bruised  and  battered   I was  shoved  into  a  dingy  room  and  forced  to  sleep  on  the  naked  floor. Whole  night  I  prayed  to  Goddess  Kali  for   safety  of  my  family.
Next  day  I  came  to  know  that  my    family  was  safe  and  my  wife  was  live  on  television. I  was  kept  in  confinement  for  two  days  and then  produced   in  the  court,  not  before  there  was  worldwide news  of  my  kidnapping  and a  BBC   correspondent  sending  the news  to   Indian  Prime  Minister’s  office and  Bihar Chie  Minister  Nitish  Kumar  asking  police  bosses  at  Patna  to  search  me  at any  cost.
The  case  of  kidnapping,  attempted  killing  forged  FIR  and  confinement  of  my  wife  by   two policemen  at  late  night,  is  pending  at  Patna  High Court.  Notices  have  been sent  to them.  Some  have  responded  while   some  are  evading. And  this heinous  crime  was  at  the  behest  of  those  politicians  who  wanted ( and  still  want  )   to  kill  me  at  any  cost.
Now  my  firm  faith  in  the  sermon” God  Helps  Him  Who  Helps  Himself".

1 comment:

  1. Don't back off no matter what . You have done the right thing . Its amazing you survived even though the whole government was against you .

    ReplyDelete