Tuesday 5 April 2016

God fathers in Indian politics


“  What  can  I  do, if   I  don’t  send  him  money  he  himself  comes  over  here  to  collect  money,”.
This  is  the   confession  of  a  member  of  Bihar  Assembly  late   Rajkishore  Keshri.  He  was  allegedly  killed   by  a  lady  who earlier  charged  him  of rape. And  incidentally  the  rape  story  was  first  published  by  me.
Rajkishore was a  nice  man,  but  he  had  two  drawbacks,  first  he  was   a  fool  and  easily  gullible  and  second  he  was  extremely  greedy.  Greedy for  money  and  also  position.  Once  elected  he  was  so  addicted  to  power  that  he  would    never  think  of  abdicating.
And  he  was  elected  to  the  position  four times. Ironically  during  every  election  there  was  vehement  demand  to  cut  his  party  ticket  but he  managed  to secure  that.  The  reason, he  had  a  Godfather at  Patna. And  to  please  his Godfather  he  had  to send  money  and  girls    at  regular  intervals. And  his  confession  came  when  I asked  him  one  day  why  he  was  so  busy  always   roaming  among  officials  and traders  and  collecting  money.
But  Rajkishore  is  not the  lone  example.  To  succeed  and  climb  ladders  in  Indian  politics  one  has  to have  a  Godfather.  If  the  Godfather   is  father  or  father  in  law  then  success  comes  easy  and  fast  but   others  have  to   tread  a  monetary  and promiscuous  path  to   please  his  or  her  Godfather,  as  whatever  claims  of  nationalism  or  popularity,  Indian  politicians  have  two  aims,  money  and  women. For  a   male  novice  he  has  to  manage   all  and  for  females   she  should  be   prepared  to  sacrifice  herself,  not  only  to  her  God  father   but  to  anybody  else  too  if  need  such  arises. As  politicians  are  known  for  switching their  loyalties  thus  Godfather  keeps   changing  and  newcomers  have  to  fulfil  new  demands.
Besides  one  also  has   to  prostrate (  or  touch  feet)  before  his  or  her  Godfather  publicly,  has   to  address  even   the  servants  of  Godfathers  as “Sir” and  has  to  manage  all   events  concerning  his  or her  Godfather  may it  be  a  rally  or   birthday  bash.
Earlier  I  had  rubbished  all  these  but  I  experienced   the  facts  first as   a  journalist (witnessed  all  these   personally)   and  later  when  I  myself  tried  to  secure  party  tickets   during  the  elections.
During  the  2014  Parliamentary  elections  I   received  message  from  a  political  party  and  rushed  to  Delhi  to  meet  the  party  president.  At  his  residence  there  was  huge  congregation,  each  one  trying  for  a  party ticket.  Then  came  a  man  to  me  introducing  himself  as  PA  of  that  party  president.
“ What  can  you  manage,?  was  his  direct  question.
I  was   a  bit  confused  but  being  a  shrewd    journalist  I  immediately  understood  what  he  meant.
“ Whose  recommendation, ? “  was  his  next  question.
The  picture  was  clear  to  me.  But  I  kept  patience   as  he  told  me  to  come  in  the  evening.
In  the  evening  I  saw  the  waiting  room  filled   with  half  men  and half  women,  some  of  very early  age.  My  number  came  after half  an hour.  That  fellow  I  often  saw  on  television  looked  like  a  rustic. He  listened  to  me   for  a  while  then “ retorted  we  have  decided  party  ticket   for  the  place.”  He  called  the  next  person.
When  I  came  out  the  same  PA  confronted  me.
“ So  you  think  party  ticket  is  that easy.  These  fellows  have   been  Saheb’s  followers  for  several  years. They  never  come  here   empty  handed.  And  you  have  come  suddenly”,  he  seemed  to  be  logical.
I  contested as  an  Independent  candidate  and  came  fifth  among  17 candidates  some  of  them  purchasing  tickets  for  over  Rs  2  crore (20  million)  and  over  100  call  girls  of  Rs  1  lakh  per  night.
Later  during  the  Assembly  elections  in  Bihar  in  2015  the  story  was  repeated.  This  time  a  gentleman  tried   to  console  me,” I know  you  are  the  best  in  the  lot  but  you  would  not  get  the  ticket  as  you  have  no  Godfather  here,”.

According  to  him  Godfather  was  not  meant  only  during  the  elections  but  even  if  elected one  has  to  fulfil  all  demands. And  knowing  my  character   and  past  record  as  a  journalist  no  senior  politician  would  like  to  be  my  Godfather, was  his  assessment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment